Monday, November 29, 2010

Wedding Dress Ideas - How would a Balikbayan do it?

I am dying to talk about my wedding dress with the wedding planner. The reason I would like to speak to her is because I would like my dress made, but am wondering if it would be possible to do given the distance. The reason I want my dress made, is not only the fit and the uniqueness but I really want something made out of Pina fabric.

Pina fiber is the ingenious fabric derived from the leaves of the Spanish Red Pineapple. and is the finest of all Philippine hand-woven fabrics. Pineapple fibers are an ivory-white color and naturally glossy. This delicate and dreamy cloth is translucent, soft and fine with a high luster.
Since piƱa fabric is hand loomed by only a few weavers, it is very precious and scarce, which also makes it expensive. The major end use of Pina fiber is the Barong Tagalong, wedding dresses and other traditional Philippine formal dress. Source
There is also another significant side to the fabric. During Spanish colonization, it was forbidden the natives wore imported fabrics and the barong tagalog (often made with Pina) was to be sheer to prevent the concealment of weapons. So not only is it a fabric born out of a rebellious nature to still be finely dressed without imported fabrics, it was made by and for Filipinos. It also touches on my environmental desire as it is an organic and sustainable fabric. Finally, I would want to support this industry and its art form, to encourage
job growth and opportunities in the Philippines.

Weaving and embroidery jobs enable women, especially, to earn salaries that allow them to be home rather than being forced to travel abroad to become domestic workers. Source
The source just had to drop the domestic bomb. For the last 4 years, I come across Live-in Caregivers (what OFW in domestic work is called in Canada because of the Federal program that brings them here), every single day. In my volunteer work, in my job, on the street. There is a better life for the kababaihan than this.

I already talked about why we wanted to get married in the Philippines. The Philippines just means so much to us. So to have a gown made of Pina silk or at least have some Pina elements, it would be so significant to me. We are also thinking of a modern Filipinana theme, so it would just tie everything together.

I have so far narrowed down that I want a heart top, and a very flowy dress. I also would like an off-white (like the Pina colour!).

I've been googling around to copy pictures of what I am interested in, but a good resource my bff suggested is the Kleinfeld Bridal website. There you can choose what you're interested in and will show you different dresses based on your selection. Very easy if you know what you want or don't want. This is also what I learned what I wanted was called. Apparently my "heart top" is called a Sweetheart Neckline, and my "flowy dress" is called a Sheath Silhouette. I'd also be interested in an A-line silhouette too but not too...big.

I found this today (on the Kleinfeld site), and it is essentially what I am looking for:
Where you see those flowers(?), if its made with pina, there would probably be more handwoven embroidery. Or maybe the pina will be in the flowy waist part, and something more structured and tight on top? Or the other way around?

Here is another dress that I love the bottom, and I think this is also what a pina dress could look like:

I think I'd bring the bottom up a little bit though. My coworker just returned from the Dominican where she said she was a beach ceremony take place everyday. She noted though that the bottom of the dresses would get wet and sand would stick to it, cause it to get heavy and hella dirty. Plus, if our dream is the beach, why would I wear heels. I am going to wear flipflops probably (or some sort of flat sandal) so will need it to be at my height flat footed.

So back to my initial dilema. Is it possible? Here are some scenarios:

Best case: I can be measured here, the coordinator knows a good designer who will work with me the next few months with designs and the coordinator will purchase the fabric. I can be fitted the second I arrive in the Philippines, and hopefully 2 weeks before the wedding is enough time for alterations. The universe has no quams with my wedding dress desires.

Ok: Have someone here make me a dress, have people I know going to the Philippines buy me Pina fabric for it.
Downside is that I only know one person who can make beautiful wedding dresses, and shes in Vancouver. And yes, she's made a dress with Pina. But its just as much as a stretch as in the Philippines, and she never comes to Toronto, and I'd have to go to Vancouver just for her.

If I have to: Will buy something decent off the rack in Toronto and bring it with me. I'm just worried about the cost.

Scary: Buy a dress online. It's alot cheaper but scary! Another scary option is if I can't have it made, and decide to get something off the rack in the Philippines and try and have it altered while I am there.

I will update when I finally figure it out. I am sure this is something any Balikbayan bride will want to figure out.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Sorry, it took me this long to reply to your comment. Im new to blogging so I didn't realize right away that I have comments. I've got my dress for 30K from Lord Maturan. This is for the bride alone. If you are good at haggling - which I'm lousy at, you can have it for a lower price. I referred one friend, they got there's for 20K, almost the same design.
    Protacio Empaces' and Wendell Quisido's price starts at 20K, depending on how complicated the design while Phillip Tampus' starts at 30K. Bernardo Flores' package is 50K which includes 3 bridesmaids (short dress) and 2 flower girls.
    Cary Santiago starts at 100K. Congratulations on your engagement and God bless!

    ReplyDelete