Friday, November 19, 2010

All ready to go!

I'm at an official starting point where I'm ready to just jump into the wedding planning. So I emailed the Shangri-La Cebu, where I have come to the conclusion I want. Yes, the SHANGRI-LA.

I came to this conclusion for a few reasons. First, I was scouting over the internet different resorts, trying to find something less... grand, in other words, less expensive. I would find places, think maybe it was ok, and then would read a few reviews of people complaining of service, inability to swim in the beach waters, peeling paint, etc. I didn't want to fly, or have people I knew fly, half way around the world for something that people would not feel comfortable in. But no one ever once crticized the Shangri-la.

I also started to get stressed thinking...would people be able to afford staying here for a few days, could we afford it? Would they have activities to do? Would I be stressed out trying to entertain them? Would it be a hassle to get there? The Shangri-La answers all those questions.

First, it's 15 minutes from the Mactan International Airport. No worried about flying to Manila, transferring flights, taking a taxi and then a boat to some other resort.

Second, Lapu-Lapu and Cebu City is one of oldest cities in the Philippines, with lots of historic sites to visit. Also because its adjacent to the city there are lots of restaurants, bars and clubs to go to. There is also a playarea for kids and toddlers in the Shangri-La itself. Finally, because it is a beach island, the ability to do scuba diving, boating, etc, are there too. The stress of entertaining guests, or having activities for them to do - gone.

Lastly, thanks to my saviour Regina, she mentions another resort (as well as post pictures) that is close to the Shang where she is planning to accommodate her out of town guests. The cheapest room at the Shangri-La is $240CDN. The rooms at this resort/hotel close by is $65CDN/night. Bingo, another worry gone. And for us, because of this stupid 10 day waiting period to get a Marriage Licence, we'd have to stay in Cebu for an extended period of time. Because of where its located, we should be able to find a vacation rental - someone's empty property - that they rent out with weekly or montly rates. In an initial google search, I found a townhome - a whole house! - for $17CDN/day! Everything is coming together (in my mind) that this wedding is actually POSSIBLE.

So the next step is to get things in place. So I emailed the Shang's event email with an inquiry. 24 hours later, still not response. So I sent another email, with more precise details for a more comprehensive quote to a contact Regina suggested. No response yet, but its only been two hours.

Yesterday, I started to email different wedding planners, again based on a list provided by Regina of local coordinators. Like me, she's not in Cebu, so she needed someone that is there and is an excellent communicator with an out of town bride. Out of the .. 10?... I emailed, only one replied back. Funny enough, it was Regina's planner! (He actually said he was working on a big wedding at the Shang - i.e. Regina's, so I replied, thanking him for responding so quickly, but also to congratulate her from a blog follower. I hope that makes her smile, instead of creeping her out.).

Anyways, so I've just been formulating plans (with Rodney's help of course) in my mind, but have nowhere to go without hearing back from the venue and/or a coordinator. I'll just keep bouncing at the starting line, all ready to go.

<3/ Camille

No comments:

Post a Comment