Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Fairy Godmother Coordinator

Wednesdays is Wedding Wednesdays on my favourite channel Slice. Part of why I love this channel is its abundance of wedding shows - thats why they can dedicate a whole day to wedding show episodes! Wedding SOS, Rich Bride Poor Bride, I Do Let's Eat, Newlywed Nearly Dead and Bulging Brides, hit at every aspect you'd need to think about for your wedding.

As I write this, I am watching Wedding SOS. If you're not familiar with this show, the show follows Jane - a wedding coordinator who they dub a Fairy Godmother - who assists couples whose planning have gone wild and grants them three wishes to make their wedding a success. It's an interesting concept and usually she's fixing either the completely disorganized, or the kind of "out of the box" kind of couples. From what I can draw from this show, is the importance of a Wedding Coordinator. 

In high school, Wedding Planner was on my short list of careers. Seriously, right behind lawyer, politician and policy maker/analyst. So right now, I'm on a path to the last one (as I write this, I am on personnel leave as I write an exam for a policy analyst), but most of my jobs before my current career path involved event planning - not wedding planning - but it has the same principles. I headed my prom committee, coordinated events on boats that toured the Toronto harbour for a cruise company, and most importantly, I was VP of my university's students union, representing 41,000 students and with the portfolio of campus life...a.k.a all social events for the union at the university.

I naturally had assumed it wouldn't be that difficult planning a wedding. Well, I'm sure if we had decided we wanted to do some thing in Toronto, it wouldn't be that difficult. Since it would be my first wedding I'd be planning, I think I could have made it unique without fitting into some cookie-cutter mold of what a wedding looks like. I would have hired someone for the day or at least the month leading up to it because it is a full time job to get all the things together. The point is, everyone planning a wedding needs help, and I would recommend to everyone to get a planner. My friend, who is also planning a wedding, said to me: the last thing I want on my wedding day is for someone to come up to me and tell me a vegetarian meal is missing. I want to be in lala land on my wedding day so I'm hiring someone because I don't even want to know if the kitchen is on fire.

In terms of my fairy godmother planner, we had our first skype meeting the other night. I had worked a 12 hour day 7am - 7pm (working some overtime to have some extra Christmas/Wedding money) and when I arrived home, I googled "Time in Cebu". Where I thought they were 12 hours ahead, they are actually 13! So I adjusted my plans and chatted with her upstairs. The good news is that we're moving along to try and get BE Resort for the ceremony and the Shangri-La for the reception. Second, she says its completely possible to have my dress made in the Philippines (I am constantly jumping for joy at the thought of it!) and finally my task for the week is a wedding budget. Just because I am abroad, I'm not a rockafeller, so I do have a limit. Of course theres going to be some adjustments to account for the difference of how much things cost in the Philippines but I think its doable.

The wedding planning train is chugging along and I'm glad I'm blogging about it. Out of all the events I had planned, I am out of my skin with excitement!

No comments:

Post a Comment